Smart plug are used to convert any ordinary device into smart device. Therefore User can control these devices remotely.
- Control the device using mobile app or smart speaker.
- Set Schedules
What is Smart Plug?
Smart Plug is a “IoT Based device”. User can plug it into electrical socket. This makes an ordinary socket a smart socket. Therefore when you connect any device with smart socket, It becomes a smart device.
How Smart Plug Works?
Smartplug are plugged into an ordinary socket. Therefore smartplug gets power from socket. When an ordinary device is plugged into smart plug, it’s power is controlled by the smartplug. Smart Plug are connected to internet using gateway. Therefore user can control the device using his smartphone, tablet, laptop or smart speaker.
Advantages of SmartPlug
Smartplug can convert an ordinary device smart. They offer following advantages compared to dumb plugs.
- Operate Remotely.
- Energy Management.
- Energy Monitoring (Track Energy usage for individual Equipment)
- User Convenience
Applications of Smartplug in Home Automation
Smart plug connected appliances can be controlled using their apps, Alexa or Google home. Or user can use IFTTT (If This Then That) Recipes to automate smart home. They have following applications in home automation. But not limited to this.
- HVAC Control: User can switch on heating or cooling before he reaches home. As a result he will get comfort, when he reaches home.
- Light Control: They can convert your home ordinary lights into smart light. You can schedule them or set as the reminder. (for example, You can set reminders, Light can start blinking as per schedule). Read this article for more details on smart lighting Technology.
- Control Your TV and Other Appliances: Do you have worry, your child is watching TV all the time. You can connect your TV with a smart plug. As a result you can control TV remotely or set schedules.
- Sprinkle Control: Is it time to give water to your plants? You can start the sprinkles even when you’re away from home.
Does Smart-Plug Really Saves Energy?
Energy saving depends on how a user is using smartplug. If they are used to control high power consumption device. User can set schedules. In this way energy saving is possible.
Whereas if smartplug is used to control a low power consumption device such as lights. User can not save considerable energy but it improves user experience.
How to Select Smart Plug?
Not all smart plugs will works for all users. Therefore following points should be considered before buying them.
Different countries use different socket types. Make sure smartplug that you are selecting supports the socket at your home.
Not all devices at home are of same ampere rating. Most of smart plugs available in market are of 5 and 10 Ampere rating. Therefore make sure device ampere rating is always less than plug ampere rating.
Smartplugs are available with following communication technologies.
If you want to control device remotely. Make sure if you select a plug that is compatible with your existing smart home system. If this is your first smart home device, you can go for Wi-Fi based smartplug.
Alexa or Google Home Support
If you have smart voice assistant installed at your home. Make sure your smartplug is compatible with that.
To sum up, Smart plug is very important building block to make an ordinary home smart. They can make any dumb device smart. Therefore they offer the advantage of controlling any device remotely and setup schedule.
Got Questions? We will be happy to help.
If you think we missed Something? You can add to this article by sending message in the comment box. We will do our best to add it in this post.